Creating Course Sections with Domain/Subdomain – (Using Course Copy Template)
Upon a program’s Domain and Subdomain set up process a program’s course options are preloaded. We suggest using these courses as your program’s masters and then create new sections to enroll students into. Before beginning this process, administrators need to determine:
- Does the school wish to make course edits at a district level prior to section creation, or will individual teachers make edits as needed?
- How many sections need to be created? Typically, we would suggest at minimum one section per teacher assigned to teach a given course.
- Where will the course sections need to be added? Are they simply added to the Domain or do they need to be copied into individual subdomains?
Know the answers to the above questions before completing the process below.
Complete the steps below to review the user creation process.
- Log in to Buzz with your administrator credentials. The URL is specific to your school’s domain and was provided following administrator training.
- Select the hamburger menu, located in the upper left corner of the webpage.
- Select Reports.
- Select Other sub-tab.
- Select Report to Run field ›› Course Export ›› Next ›› Next ›› Export to CSV.
- Open the download Course Export file.
- Delete all but the Title column (A) and the Course ID column (G).
- Open Derivative_course_copy_template.
- Save this file as a CSV file. If no subdomain exists skip directly to step 9.
- If subdomains are present, save the file multiple times for each subdomain name. Label each CSV file with a subdomain reference.
- Copy the Course ID codes from the Course Export file into the Base ID column on the desired Derivative Course Copy CSV file.
Note: Although copying the Course ID the column title on the course copy template must remain Base ID.
- Copy the Title column from the Course Export file into the Title column on the desired Derivative Course Copy CSV file.
- Copy the Action, Copy Action and Type fields found in the first three columns to all added rows of the Derivative Course Copy CSV file.
- Adjust Course Titles to desired name.
- It is recommended to add the teachers name in ( ) following the already populated title. This is especially important if multiple teachers are teaching the same course.
- Some programs may have a need to adjust name further to match their school naming conventions.
- The titles in this column will be the course section name all users see.
- Skip to step 16 if only one section per course title is needed, if multiple sections per domain or subdomain are needed continue to step 14.
- Insert row below initial course row for which multiple section is needed.
- Copy the initial course row into the newly created course row and change the title. This likely is just changing the teacher name in ( ). In the example below 3 sections were created for each of the first two courses on my list.
- Save completed file as a .csv file.
- Navigate to either the Domain Admin App view or the Subdomain Admin App view depending upon where the sections are to be created.
Note: It is critical to double check you are at the correct hierarchy level before importing the file.
- Select the domain or subdomain hamburger menu.
- Select Courses.
- Select three dot ellipsis ›› Import.
- Select Choose ›› complete the import process by locating and selecting the associated Derivative Course Copy CSV file.
- Select Next.
- Verify that no errors appear.
- Cancel the Import screen if errors occur. Possible format errors include:
- Users copied the Base ID rather than the Course ID into the Base ID column.
- Users did not copy the data in the first three columns into all rows.
- Users did not save the file as a .csv file.
- Select Import if no errors were found.
- Repeat steps 17 -23 for any additional subdomains as needed. Always verifying that the correct CSV file is being loaded at the correct Subdomain level.